Friday, November 12, 2010

Trip to the MoMA

  My week has been pretty uneventful, but I've had a couple of midnight shifts, meaning I've been mentally and physically MIA.  I actually went running yesterday after my shift around 10AM, but my damn SI joint is flaring up again so my run turned into a brisk power walk.  Tomorrow I'm going into Jersey to hike and hang out with a friend from college so that should be a lot of fun.

The other day, I ate a really small breakfast so I could drink some major calories.
Salted caramel hot chocolate!!!  Hot chocolate with mocha sauce and toffee nut syrup, topped with sweetened whipped cream, a caramel drizzle and sprinkled with sea salt and Hawaiian turbinado sugar topping.

 Amazing shoes at Urban Outfitters....I want them.

Dinner was from a dumpling house down the street....and was incredibly cheap and good.

  That salad was only $3...very cheap by NYC standards...I added sprouts and avocado.  Those are veggie dumplings.
Boring pasta with marinara that I made while incredibly sleepy. 

Original Andy Warhol

An Awesome light fixture that I would like to own.  I call it "Disheveled Alice" (for Alice in Wonderland)
The description states that the company only makes about 4 per year, because it takes days for the designers to craft it.  The have to meticulously break the plates with hammers so that breaks turn out nice.  They will even break a plate on the floor, see how the pieces shatter, and use that as inspiration for where to put everything else.  In case you can't tell this includes pieces of broken plates, cups, mugs, bowls, and utensils.

An awesome car.

  After leaving the MoMa (by the way, today was Target free Fridays) I was in desperate need of food.  I only ate an apple for lunch because I was so busy in the ER.  I found a really cute, small Thai place that came highly rated on Yelp.

Topaz Thai.  One of my favorite things about NYC is all the restaurants and shops that are down below.  I love walking into these small places down a flight of stairs and into the "basement."  I just think it makes for the perfect little cozy setting...if only my hubby was here to enjoy it with me.
Beautiful fountain in the entryway.  This pic was taken from my table, which is actually on this little platform high up.

Drinking Thai iced tea takes some getting used to, but now I'm addicted.  It's this strange mix of spicy, sweet and just plain interesting.  After looking around online, the general recipe is simple:  very strong brewed black tea, condensed milk, and sugar.  What gives it that extra oomph is that black Thai tea has cardamom, tamarind, and other spices.
This is my straw.  It was shaped like a rose.  Cute little touch.

To my surprise they brought out this bowl of "chips".  I have no clue what they were, but they just tasted like crispy puffs of air.  That sauce was the bomb dot com.  Peanutty, sweet, and thick.
Silver Green:  stir-fried glass noodles, eggs, and mixed vegetables.  I don't know what the sauce on this was but it came highly recommended by the waiter.  It was sooooooooo good.  Light, slightly salty, and just an interesting layering of flavor that you always find in Thai food.  I also had them throw on some fried tofu for good measure....brilliant.  If I ever go back I would definitely try the vegetarian drunken noodles, because they are apparently well-known for them.  By the way, I was more than happy with the veggies that came with my dish: zucchini, baby corn, onions, mushrooms, napa cabbage, scallions, green beans, and carrots.

  Right now I'm sipping some hot chocolate and relaxing in my PJ's....good night and enjoy your weekend.  I'll be hitting up the hills of NJ in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment