Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lentil Loaf

  While probably not the most appetizing name, lentil loaf is a great way for vegans and vegetarians to have a good protein source.  It's also just nice to have something different for a main course. It's also funny that I made this, because I HATED meatloaf as a kid.  So the thought of wanting to recreate it in a vegetarian style is somewhat amusing.  I got this recipe from another one of my favorite blogs Eat Live Run.  She made up this recipe when the lentil association asked her to come up with new recipes featuring lentils. 


Lentil Loaf
 Eat Live Run's Recipe

Ingredients
 1 cup lentils (I used French green lentils which are more hardy)
3 cups vegetable stock
1 white onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 T olive oil
2 carrots, grated
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
3/4 c chopped walnuts
1 flax egg or regular egg
1 tsp thyme
Kosher salt and black pepper


Topping
2 T ketchup
1 T maple syrup
dash of balsamic and BBQ sauce


Directions
1.  Bring lentils and stock to a boil.  Allow to simmer at medium heat for approximately 20 minutes.  You're basically just getting the lentils to absorb all of the liquid.  (Or if you lived near a Trader Joe's you could just buy the container of steamed lentils.)
2.  Saute your onions and celery with the oil for 2-3 minutes.
3.  Preheat your oven to 350.
4.  Add carrots and garlic to the onions and saute for about 4 more minutes.
5.  Put your chopped walnuts onto a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 5 minutes.  Keep a close eye on them; you definitely don't want them to burn.
6.  Add walnuts to veggie mixture.
7.  Add your spices, breadcrumbs and lentils to the veggie mixture.  Everything is getting mixed together!!!
8.  Grease a loaf pan and pat your mixture down into the pan.
9.  Make your glaze to top the lentil loaf.....see topping ingredients.
10.  Spread glaze onto loaf and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.


This recipe is super simple and very filling.  However, Andy helped me make this last night and let me tell you, he is the king of spices.  He knows exactly what to add to make things taste good.  He even added in some dill weed, cayenne, and who knows what else.  What I'm getting at is that you can add any ingredients that you like.  
  This loaf does keep its shape relatively well.  If it's really hot, the slices kind of fall apart, but otherwise I was impressed. With your leftovers you could even make a "meatloaf sandwich" or maybe crumble it up on a salad.  My picture below is not appetizing, but oh well.




 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! It's Melanie...saw the link to your blog on your facebook info. Just wanted to say that I stumbled upon this recipe on ELR about a month ago (I started following that blog way after she first posted that recipe) and I've made it twice since then. I'm obsessed with that glaze on the top! The first time I made it I made the amount of glaze listed....the second time I quadrupled it and completely smothered that loaf with it haha.

    ReplyDelete