Sunday, October 24, 2010

New York State of Mind

As I sit here typing with the sounds of sirens and honking horns, I'm drinking a cup of cinnamon spice tea and thinking about my day.  Last night I spent the night in DC with Courtney; she's doing a pediatric rotation at George Washington Children's Hospital.  We had dinner in Alexandria at a Thai restaurant.  The pictures will come once I figure something out.  My mom let me borrow her camera and I'm not sure how to get the pics off because I can't hook it up to my computer. 

Our Thai Experience.
Tom Yum soup:  a delicate vegetable broth simmer in scallions, lemongrass and basil with mushrooms and sprouts.  This was the most flavorful soup I've ever had from an Asian restaurant.  The lemony-goodness of this was breathtaking.


Tom Yum soup courtesy of Google.







Tofu Pad Thai:  The best pad thai I've ever eaten. I feel like I would need to go to Thailand to find any that's better.  This baby was full of crispy tofu, carrots, mushroom, broccoli, sprouts, scallions, and peanuts.  Every other restaurant gives you tofu pad thai with no other veggies.  
Curry Puffs:  We had no clue what to expect of these.  They were pastry puffs filled with curried potatoes and onions with basil.  Different, but tasty.
Courtney got a veggie curry dish that was delicious also.  
Now, on to today.  I arrived in NYC after riding the Bolt Bus which was amazing!!!  Free Wifi, roomy seats, and I watched Netflix the entire way.  The trip came and went before I even noticed.  I admit, I was initially overwhelmed when I got here.  All the people and excitement were here, but I'm alone.  Haha.  It's a very strange feeling.  However, I went shopping at Trader Joe's which made me feel much better.  The line at this TJ's takes about 20-30 minutes....it wraps around the entire store!
I have to admit, I went out for Vietnamese food.  I can't seem to get enough of Asian cuisine lately.  Soooooo good!!  I'm living in Murray Hill/Kips Bay area, and there's tons of awesome looking restaurants.

Murray Hill Restaurants
The Asian fusion restaurant
 This is the closest thing I've ever found that can even compare to Ming's crunchy noodles and sweet 'n sour sauce.  RIP Ming's.
 Vegetable bun....warm vermicelli noodles with lettuce, sprouts, celery, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, cucumbers, and peanuts.  Some sort of interesting sauce came on the side.  This was very good.  Different than anything I've ever had.
Not such a bad beer.  Overall, I just find Asian beers to be pretty boring.


Good night friends.....I'll be back tomorrow from my crazy ER shenanigans.

1 comment:

  1. so jealous. my fiance is all sad about ny but he's hoping to get some interviews there. I'll let you know if and when. When is your internship over? Our friend said bellevue is INSANEEEEEEEE. good luck friend and enjoy the beautiful city! especially when the christmas stuff goes up!

    ReplyDelete