Wednesday, September 15, 2010

RIP Cashew Butter

  Yesterday was another uneventful day.  I hope I'm not boring everyone.  I wish I could tell you the really awesome stuff I see in the ED, but  I don't want to break any HIPPA violations. Last night was a semi-busy night with a few traumas thrown in.  I went for a 4-mile run yesterday....I should say a walk/run because my pumpkin patch trail has KILLER hills.  Killer as in, "If I did this every day I would have the best butt in town."  I am definitely sore today...thanks to running up the hills to Hades combined with P90x.  Lunch yesterday before work was an amazing salad and the rest of my Primo Hoagie.
   Check out that salad beast!  This was a peppery bed of arugula with carrots, red bell pepper, snow pea sprouts, and avocado topped with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
  When I was at the hospital last night, I decided that I really needed some coffee.  Anyone who knows me knows that it's not even so much a matter of having the caffeine, but just that I LOVE coffee.  My family on my mom's side are to thank for this; any family event requires that there be more than one coffeepot going at once so there's enough coffee for everyone.  We are hardcore coffee drinkers.  I'm talking, 100 degrees outside at a BBQ, but I'm going to have coffee with my dessert.  I would also like to add that I'm a self-professed coffee snob.  If the coffee's not good, I'm not drinking it.  That being said, last night when the resident told me where I could get us some coffee, I was hesitant about the quality.
  I told her I would grab her a cup and she said she wanted a vanilla coffee with cream.  Vanilla?  There were flavors in the lounge?  So as I made my way up to the surgery lounge, feeling like the new kid in the lunchroom, I spotted Keurig coffee makers.  Lo and behold, there were tons of coffee/hot cocoa/tea K-cups!!!!  That coffee is excellent.  I tried to hide the excitement from everyone in the lounge.  Didn't want to look any less cool than I already felt up there in surgery land.
You can't tell but there was regular and decaf of every flavor.  Pumpkin spice, French vanilla, Vanilla Caramel Brulee, and many others.  However, I was blinded by the pumpkin spice and knew it had to be mine.  Divine!!  I will be making frequent trips up there during my shifts. 
  When I got home at 2:00, I ended up eating some leftover pasta from the other night.  Wasn't really feeling it, but I hadn't eaten since lunch.  I know, I know.  Not good to be waiting so long between meals.  Normally I would yell at anyone doing such a thing, but the ED is a land where time flies by and your stomach has no time to register that it's hungry.
  Breakfast this morning was lovely, but hear me out.  I used my usual oatmeal but added chopped bananas and an egg white while it was cooking.  Egg white, you say?  The lovely Jenna over at Eat Live Run has used egg whites in her oatmeal before, and I'm a huge fan.  You just whisk them right in while the oats are cooking, towards the end of the cook time.  You don't taste eggs, but they give a really nice boost of protein and add creaminess to the oats.  I also had a near empty cashew butter jar that I served my oats in.....if you read blogs you'll understand this...OIAJ.  Oats in a jar.  If you haven't tried it, do it immediately.

Today's Oats
-  TJ's oat mix
-  egg white
-  cashew butter
-  1T chocolate chips
-  1/2 banana
-  Salted peanuts (this was a brilliant addition....salty + sweet)
Have a good day.

My Schedule:
4-Midnight work
6:30- leave work to go to Journal club at Tyler Fitzgerald's in Wilmington, DE

No comments:

Post a Comment