Wednesday, September 8, 2010

World's Longest Post

So, I'm a terrible blogger.  With the mix of work, impromptu trips, and very little studying, I haven't had time to post.  However, I will make this a long post with lots of pictures.

   One of my friends lives in DC, which is about an hour from me.  My other friend drove up from Orlando, FL for the Labor Day weekend.  I spontaneously drove down to DC on Sunday to surprise my Florida friend.  We had such a great time and enjoyed some awesome food.
   This food on the left was AMAZING!  Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not a big fan of seafood.  However, I was in Maryland, and I figured it would be a sin not to eat crabcakes.  These were from The Pier House and were the bomb.  They were full of crab with very little breading.  The crabcakes were served with grilled asparagus, and garlic Israeli couscous.  I'm not sure what the sauces on the side were because I didn't even bother eating them.

   On the search for everything delicious, we stumbled across Cake Love.  We looked at the guy in the picture on the wall and noticed that he looked identical to the guy working there.  Turns out they were one and the same.  What I really appreciated about Cake Love was there motto; Cakes From Scratch made from real ingredients.  They use real butter, sugar, and flour in all their cakes.  No trans fats to be found.  They also have vegan and gluten-free options which is great.  The 3 of us girls decided to each get 2 cupcakes and we could try multiple different options.  They had lots of great flavor choices.  I chose 1) a vanilla cupcake with salted caramel frosting and 2) an amaretto cupcake.  I hate to say it, but I was less than impressed.  The amaretto cupcake had absolutely no amaretto flavoring.  (Should've taken pics, but it was dark.)  The salted caramel icing was excellent, however, I found the cupcake to be a little dry.  Unfortunately, the cupcakes were an epic fail.  I can't speak for the vegan or gluten-free, but I was sad about these cupcakes.  I had really high expectations for them.  :(

So my friend said that there was a restaurant that we had to stop by for martinis.  Knowing how much I love teapots, she casually mentioned that their signature martinis were served in teapots.  The teapot is the "shaker" and comes out with your teacup.  What a cute idea!  These martinis were from Bond45, a really chic little restaurant overlooking the harbor.  We each chose a different type of drink so we could taste them all.  Notice a theme for the evening? (We each order something different and try it.) 
1.  I chose "Illegally Blonde":  Beefeater gin, elderflower liqueur, grapefruit juice, fresh lemon juice, simple sugar. 
     -  I give this 2 thumbs up.  It was fresh, refreshing, and all around tasty.
2.  Ziegfeld martini:  Grey Goose vodka, Pama pomegranate liqueur, pomegranate juice, and fresh lime.
3.  Hemingway martini:  Bacardi rum, maraschino liquor, fresh grapefruit, and fresh lime.
* All of these drinks were excellent!

  Then we had our ultimate touristy moment.  The National Harbor was playing "The Land Before Time" for children, but we brought a blanket and decided to join them.  Brought back memories of how much I liked this movie as a kid.









The first 2 pictures above are from the town I'm staying in.....so cute.  The picture from the far left is a little used/new bookstore.  I haven't made it in many of the stores downtown, but I definitely look forward to more exploring.  The middle picture is of an espresso shop I'm dying to try.  I also needed an iced coffee before a long night at work.  I used my need for caffeine as an excuse to buy a drink from a place that I have never been to.  It was called Centreville Cafe & Montrachet Fine Foods.  This was such a cute place, and I was sad that I didn't get to enjoy some other delicacies from the store.  They were also very nice and welcoming when I came in the store.  I definitely will try to make a trip back.

Today's breakfast started with eggs in mind.  I've been having oats lately, but decided today was a good day for eggs.
- 3 egg whites + 1 egg
- chopped red pepper
- fresh spinach

The next star of the show was a Casaba melon.  I found it at the grocery store on sale, and since I love melon and had never tried this, I thought I would give it a shot.  The verdict:  just so-so.  It has the consistency of a honeydew melon, but it's not as sweet.  I'm not crazy about it, but I'll eat it.

Da da da daaaa....Breakfast!  My eggs, an sandwich thin with raspberry preserves, and coffee with cream.  And yes, that's a bowl of casaba, but I didn't eat that entire bowl.  I just didn't want casaba juice running all over my plate.
So, I will post as frequently as possible from now on.  No more of this forgetting and being too busy crap.  I'm off to enjoy the rest of my day!  No work for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment